Kamis, 30 Oktober 2008

Joe Jackson


photo from press kit of Joe Jackson.com
Lists, life lists - do you have one? I am a list maker, sometimes only in the back of my head, othertimes on small scraps of paper, cards, or in my pocket folder if I think it's of upmost importance. My life list is one of those in my head. On this list are many things musical. One of those things was fulfilled last night - finally!
Last night my friend Ed and I went out to a concert at the Music Hall in Portsmouth to see Joe Jackson and hear some of his new music from the most fabulous recording called Rain. I have followed his music since college days, while working at the radio station and opening the package which held "Look Sharp!" inside. It was such a turning point in my musical enjoyment that I just can't tell you how exciting it was to finally see Joe Jackson live. I have just missed him over the past twenty years in London, Chicago, San Francisco, and in NYC. Imagine my surprise when I found out he was playing right here in New Hampshire. It was great to see him at the Music Hall as it was more intimate of a venue than the other locations. If you haven't heard his new album "Rain" you are just missing out. It shines like his diverse musical talent does with beautiful lyrics and fabulous riffs ranging from new wave to jazz and everything in between.